The Spectator Health Summit
BY spectator events
November 28, 2022
1 Great George Street, London, England, SW1P 3AA
The Rt Hon Steve Barclay MP, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
Lord James Bethell, former Life Sciences Minister
Elizabeth Robertson, director of research, Diabetes UK
Sarah Walter, director, ICS Network, NHS Confederation
The annual Spectator Health Summit returns as a live event and will bring together health and care leaders to examine the priorities of the NHS. It will look at how modernisation and innovation can help take the strain off some of the most stretched areas of the NHS, and how the UK’s standing as a global life sciences superpower could benefit not only the NHS, but the economy in general.
The morning will be chaired by The Spectator’s associate editor Isabel Hardman.
9am-9.30am: Keynote: Steve Barclay MP, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
9.30am-10.30am: Session 1: Working smarter: how to modernise the NHS
Can modernisation and innovation help the NHS to tackle A&E waiting times, clear its long waiting list and treat those with long-term conditions? Our panel will discuss the challenges we face to make tangible and lasting improvements to the NHS.
10.30am-11am: Break with refreshments
11am-12pm: Session 2: Health, wealth, and resilience: making the UK a life sciences superpower
Innovative medicines save lives and prevent people from getting sick in the first place, so what role can life sciences play in improving patient outcomes? The panel will discuss how to improve the UK’s standing as a life sciences superpower for the benefit of patients, the NHS, and the economy.
- Steve Barclay MP, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
- Chris Thomas, head of the commission on health and prosperity, The IPPR
- Elizabeth Robertson, director of research, Diabetes UK
- Lord James Bethell, former life sciences minister
- Jordan Cummins, health director, CBI
- Sarah Walter, director, ICS Network, NHS Confederation
- Philip Schwab, area director of government affairs, AbbVie
- Laura Steele, president and general manager, Eli Lilly and Company
Date of Preparation: October 2022